Good for meal prep for the week for 1 person or 4-6 people at once. Easy, tasty, minestrone soup that's good
when it's cold.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- 1 lb of thick-cut bacon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 big ass pot with a lid. Big enough to fit a whole chicken in and cover with water.
- Knife for choppin'
- 3 small bowls
- 2 medium bowls (cereal size) for veggies
- Can opener
- Measuring spoons
- Get the small bowls and the medium bowl out.
- Peel the carrot and dice. Wash and dice the celery. Put both in the medium bowl.
- Dice the onion. Place in small bowl.
- Chop up bacon strips into chunks. Place in small bowl.
- Mince garlic. Place in small bowl.
- Measure dried oregano and dried basil. Mix together in small bowl and set aside.
- Trim and cut green beans into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl.
- Chop fresh basil.
- Get the big pot and set on stove under medium heat. Put in olive oil and let it get hot for 1 minute.
- Add the onion. Cook for 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Careful not to burn the garlic!
- Add the celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the bacon and let the fat render. 2 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, dried oregano and dried basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook 3 more minutes.
- Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.